[LAD] students and copyright

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Aug 2 12:33:39 UTC 2009

Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> Copyleft/GPL build on copyright. It's the lever to do anything.
>
> Of course you have to keep all names of people that didn't hand over
> copyright to you in.

Copyleft is a function of the copyright by the GPL ;). Everybody is
allowed to use GPL licensed code, nobody can take on the copyright, if
he is using GPL licensed code. That is how I do understand the GPL.

In Germany we have a law for intellectual property, we don't need to
sign something by a copyright, but without making special contracts an
employer will own your intellectual property, if it's part of a job to
do development.

Dunno what's called trademark and what's called copyright, a logo e.g.
is artwork and for artwork the copyright is relevant too, but I know
[snip] like Brauner who threat e.g. a company that named a medical
device "Velvet" a long time before he named a mic "Velvet", because he
got the trademark or what ever it's called.

Ralf