[LAD] Fwd: Fw: Re: At the hands of Professor Keller and Raymond

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Sun Aug 2 14:37:25 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 10:18:20AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Even if you changed headers original done by other authors for more
>> than 50% of the code, it must be noticeable who was the original author
>> and that you changed it. There's a stipulation: "a) You must cause the
>> modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the
>> files and the date of any change."
>
> I guess this should protect the reliability of the software. If thousand
> people change xyz.h, we need to know if we got the original xyz.h, with
> the original functionality or if we got a derivate, that might has lost
> it's compatibility. Copyrights done under the GPL should protect the
> software and users, less the authors, that's why it's called a copyleft.
> You only can make the software name, logos etc. copyright, not the code,
> if you are using GPL code.

This is false.  The GPL doesn't change the meaning of copyright, and it is
worthless without one or more copyright holders (somebody has to have the
copyright in order to apply the license).  Authors retain copyright to their
software when they release it under the GPL.  The GPL simply grants rights to
others that they otherwise wouldn't have (at least under US law).

-Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net