[LAD] Fwd: Fw: Re: At the hands of Professor Keller and Raymond

Raymond Martin laseray at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 20:44:41 UTC 2009

On Sunday 02 August 2009 15:36:34 you wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Raymond Martin<laseray at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 02 August 2009 16:31:55 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> >> I hope that you will continue to be motivated to contribute to the
> >> project now that Bob has released it to sf.net as that would appear to
> >> be your main reason for forcing the issue.
> >
> > No. I have previously stated that I have a separate project for this now.
> >
> > I am also working on a fork, because after reviewing parts of the code
> > I realize, as any professional programmer would, that this really needs
> > a lot of fixing. I am already fixing some parts for my own use and later
> > they will be put out.
>
> All non-trivial code "needs a lot of fixing".
>
> I suspect it would be more productive to ensure that the fixes and new
> developments from various parties happen in the same place, so that
> everyone can benefit from them -- and the obvious place for that is
> the repository that is managed by the team that wrote the program so
> far, since clearly they have proven capable (especially since there is
> no suggestion that the program is unmaintained or no longer developed
> by them).

That argument holds little weight for me. Merely originating an application in
no way guarantees quality.

> But I imagine that there may be personal rather than technical
> obstacles to that, and I quite understand that they can be significant
> enough to be sometimes not worth trying to overcome.
>
> It might be worth reiterating that under the GPL Bob's project is just
> as welcome to draw from the forked project as the fork is to draw from
> his.

This certainly is the case. And I would not have it any other way. Of course,
it goes without saying that use of other peoples code in your application,
to create a fork or to improve an original with code from a fork, requires
proper attention to adding the relevant copyrights in accord with the GPL.
So if you use it, make sure you do it right.

Raymond