[LAD] students and copyright

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Aug 3 05:39:14 UTC 2009

"Sometimes, the process of installation is not facilitated by scripts,
but by some other means (such as executable programs). The GPL text only
mentions the word "scripts". But when reading and interpreting the
license, it is clearly understood that the license doesn't specifically
only mean "scripts", but any kind of software programs that are required
to install a (modified) version of the compiled program."
(http://gpl-violations.org/faq/sourcecode-faq.html)

"How can I verify that my source code release is complete?

This is quite easy. If you only use source code provided in that
release, and you can use this source code to produce a working form of
the executable code, then the source code release seems complete.

If the build process fails, or you end up with a non-working executable,
or you have no way to install the resulting executable, then clearly
something is missing." (http://gpl-violations.org/faq/sourcecode-faq.html)