[LAD] GPL Violation Alert! - Sorry if this is a duplicate

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue Aug 4 08:10:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 08:33:22AM +0100, Nick Bailey wrote:

> Well, calling it your own is out of order, but as long as they release their
> source code as required by the GPL, then selling it is a Good Thing (TM). I
> hope the LADs agree with me. I would certainly be delighted if my GPL'd stuff
> (which isn't directly related to LAD) got sold. It would mean more GPL'd
> applications.

Two question arise:

- Is a program that loads LADSPA plugins (at run time) a
  'derived work' ? Note that anyone can create a 'clean'
  version of ladpsa.h, as some people did with the VST
  headers.

- If an installer (run on the end user's machine)
  fetches the plugins from their official site, would
  this be 'distribution' ?

My first guess would be no, no.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.