[LAD] GPL Violation Alert! - Sorry if this is a duplicate

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Tue Aug 4 19:59:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 21:46 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 04 August 2009 21:23:20 Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> > I can modify a piece of GPL'd code to my hearts content, link it to my
> > proprietary code, use it for years, all without violating the GPL. A
> > violation would be if I distribute the combination as proprietary (non
> > GPL) software.
> > Comments?
>
> As far as I know this is right. Because GPL is a license (thats what the L
> stands for:), not an end-user agreement. All the GPL talks about is
> (re-)publishing. So as long as you do not re-distribute your app (outside your
> home/business) no one knows and cares.
>
> And I always wonder how Trolltech would enforce people to not use the GPL-
> version to start development and only buy a commercial license shortly before
> publishing ones own app for money. They actually can't because the sources of
> your app (should) not leave your home/business before that, so they wouldn't
> know...

There's also another aspect. Company A might sell a GPL license for
their software X to company B. They might want to do this as X uses or
is based on GPL'd code. This means X needs to be licensed under the GPL.
A is not obliged to distribute X to anyone but B and B might not want to
redistribute X. B is naturally entitled to the source code of X as per
GPL.

I'm expecting this happens all the time. This should happen when B
orders a bespoke software from A and A happens to use GPL software in
the product. As far as I understand the GPL, it does not obligate A or B
to release X to anyone else.

  Sampo