[LAD] GPL Violation Alert! - I talked with the President of Beat Kangz Today

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 20:23:01 UTC 2009

Interesting stuff, espcially when you consider that but a week or 2
ago, another chap from a university, who was unaware of the
implications of the GPL, got nailed for not releasing his code as per
a strict definition of the GPL, and took a lot of sustained abuse for
it as a result. He's moved quickly to remedy this and asked for help,
not wanting to let ignorance of the facts get in the way of doing the
right thing.

In contrast, a commercial company has simply swiped plugins,
themselves under a GPL or derivative, and ignored the licensing
requirements contained within, making no reference to the authors, and
or assigning credit within the rules. And it certainly looks like they
weren't planning to do so until it became public, and they had little
choice. Far from being a 'sweetheart" the owner has got caught with
his hand in the p2p equivalent of the software till, and has issued
soothing noise to all and sundry, in an effort to keep the potentially
unprofitable publicity to a minimum. And for the same reasons that our
newest colleague got shoved down his throat, now it seems all is
warmth and light, because "A.J" says so.

Why didn't the "wonderful" Mr. AJ contact the authors first, and
discuss what he planned to do with them before he simply took the
software, for profit? Or at least notified them, and credited them
before he started counting his money, even out of common decency?

Call me cynical, and the plugin authors certainly have the last say,
but there seems to be a rather large dose of hypocrisy going on
here....