[LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Aug 5 09:57:07 UTC 2009

victor wrote:
> I note, interestingly, that even though in Linux circles (at LAC for
> instance), people keep mentioning MS Windows as a rival OS,
> for us it's really Apple and OSX that constitutes competition these
> days from the proprietary side of things.

A lot of professional studios changed from MacOS to Windows and more and
more of the professional studios still change from MacOS to Windows.
This isn't an opinion by me, but what I hear if I get in contact with
people I know from my jobs I did some years ago. A lot of devices e.g.
measuring instruments changed and still change from Linux to Windows.
I'm unemployed but still know people who still work in those businesses.
I know, there are some famous examples where companies change to Linux,
but this isn't the standard.

I'm positively surprised that people at LAC realize the state of the art
for real-time audio in the proprietary world. It makes me feel good that
I keep staying at Linux, while I read this. For home recording Windows
in any case has been all the time the competition from the proprietary side.

To get more companies interested in supporting their hardware for Linux,
it isn't a help to blur facts by ideologies.

Don't get me wrong, I do not know who you are thinking off with "us", so
you might be right, but the OS presumed dead is on the rise again.

I know people where I can guarantee that for their needs Linux is the
best OS and the second best OS is XP, but they like to use Vista and
some of them like to use XP, while barely one is using Linux.

For real-time audio there are a lot of technical reasons that make
people stay away from Linux, but for most other usage it isn't the
technical side that let people use Windows and MacOS instead of Linux,
even if it's 100% clear that there are a lot of needs where Linux is the
better OS ;).