[LAD] students and copyright

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Aug 5 13:00:20 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 12:33:27 jaromil wrote:
> still, myself being a person working in education, i think the problem
> is  more structural:  i'd rather  question  why students  in a  school
> should be contributing to  a professor's project, rather than starting
> one on  their own? they could learn  how to work in  a more horizontal
> and creative way, even if the  project will be less interesting in the
> eyes of the director, who should be there to give suggestions and help
> on students projects, not the contrary.

I disagree (from expirience in writing software in a science project) mostly
because half a year (which seems to be the normal timespan a student is
available with internships or thesis) is to short to successfully start and
finish(!) a project. And that doesn't even include supporting further
development over time. These are the things a long-term maintainer (aka
director:) does.
And you actually learn more when joining a project because you have someone
knowing the current code and giving you hints, you learn how to work together,
you learn how to define interfaces, you have someone looking at your errors and
correcting them. And you don't have to start from scratch...

Have fun,

Arnold