[LAD] Impro-Visor created on sourceforge

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu Aug 6 01:11:40 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 29 July 2009 02:53:35 Arnout Engelen wrote:
> You cannot claim someone failed to distribute software under the GPL, and
> at the same time take said software and excercise the rights that *would*
> have been granted to you *if* the software was distributed under the GPL.

I think you can. I have already posted a few responses that I think make this
case but would be happy to try and clarify or learn where I am mistaken.

I can start with your GPL program and modify. Release a binary and give a GPL
license with the binary. Fail to release the source as your use of the GPL
license requires.

I am in violation of the license you gave me. Someone who took my modified
binary program and under the GPL license I gave to it and somehow recreated
the source and modded that and release the newly modded source and binary as
per the GPL surely would be OK?

(As I asked earlier today re a bug in the GPL, that third person might not be
OK if they just distributed your GPL binary as they might have no way to
supply the source. ???)

all the best,

drew