[LAD] Impro-Visor created on sourceforge

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Aug 6 15:24:14 UTC 2009

Hallo,
Raymond Martin hat gesagt: // Raymond Martin wrote:

> What you wrote there is essentially meaningless. The GPL is worthless and
> has no force according to that. All the power is outside of it and it carries
> no weight. I guess that is why the FSF just won a court case against Cisco
> for GPL violations. Make sense.

The Cisco case was resolved out of court:
http://www.fsf.org/news/2009-05-cisco-settlement.html

Anyway the FSF never went out and released source code written by some company
in violation of the GPL on their own. Why?  Because that code, while licensed
incorrectly, still has that company's copyright written all over. (It would
probably still have it even when the code would be GPL'd correctly.)

This is *the* central problem here: The company didn't give a correct license
to distribute their code (i.e. they didn't use the GPL as required). Without
such a license copying that code would violate the company's copyright. And two
wrongs don't make a right. That's why the FSF and gpl-violation.org go to court
to force the company to fix that issue, instead of releasing that code on their
own.

Ciao
--
Frank