[LAD] Running pulseaudio with jack

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Aug 7 09:20:01 UTC 2009

Patrick Shirkey:

> Hi,
>
> For those of you who are not subscribed to LAU, yesterday I had time to
> run a test to see how easy and stable it was to run pulseaudio with jack
> on Fedora 11.
>
> I had a few problems at first but after upgrading to pulseaudio-0.9.16
> (latest dev version) I was able to successfully connect Pulseaudio to
> Jack and play tracks with Totem. It was still a little unstable as I was
> able to bring pulse down a few times while using the
> gnome-volume-control applet. However jack was not affected by pulse dying.
>
> I did this on a standard Fedora kernel with a 2 core intel and 4 GB RAM.
> My system load without any audio playing it was around 10%. While
> playing a track with Totem through PA into Jack was around 20%. This
> could be due to the visuals that were running at the same time. I was
> able to listen to a complete 30 minute dj mix without any dropouts while
> still using my system as usual. I am going to run a full day test of
> audio playback today.

Which kernel are  you running, and are you using a 32 or 64 bit
distribution?

I'm using the 32 bit distribution of fedora 11 with the latest
fedora PAE kernel. The cpu is a 4 core intel i7, 6 GB ram.

I haven't had any problems at all with pulseaudio/jack (only using
the packages provided by fedora), and I'm a bit surprised about
your post. But I haven't tried totem, I'll do when I get home.