[LAD] [LAU] Kim did the switch to Linux

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 07:31:59 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 5:22 AM, James Cameron<quozl at us.netrek.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 07:44:46PM -0600, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
>> You misunderstood what he was saying.  The GCC compiler IS included on
>> the installation disks as part of the XCode program.  You can also
>> download this program off of the internet(The download is over a gig
>> by the way last I looked).  The complaint is that Apple only bundles
>> gcc with the XCode program and a lot of useless stuff that aren't
>> necessarily used by people like us.  But they are used by most Mac
>> developers, and Apple I am sure wants to encourage their use and
>> 'their' way of doing things.
>
> Ah, I see, thanks.  Yes, an encouragement.  I get the point.  An open
> ecosystem doesn't need to offer the same encouragement.

Yeah, that was my point. I checked my Debian testing gcc first and
verified that the download is far less than 1 MB.
I believe the latest XCode is over a gig, but my experience wasn't
quite so bad; it was an older ibook, discs long gone, but using an
outdated version that was only 300 some MB, still too much, and
significant given the speed of the comp.

Maybe here's a task for some beneficent soul like me, to compile some
GCC tools on OSX and offer small downloads.

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com