[LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

David Robillard dave at drobilla.net
Sat Aug 8 16:49:48 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 03:40 +0300, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Jens M
> Andreasen<jens.andreasen at comhem.se> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 20:10 +0300, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> >
> >> How much do normal human beings need pro audio production tools?
> >
> > According to Apple marketing research, about 10% of perfectly normal
> > human beings plays an instrument - mostly either guitar or keyboard -
> > and would also like to use their PC as a home or portable recording
> > studio. This is the story behind why "GarageBand" is included in their
> > default application suite.
> >
> > You could argue that that application is not "pro" or something, but it
> > is still the same infrastructure that ticks behind it as it is for other
> > audio applications, which is what is the point in this context.
>
> I guess my thought was that people who want to use audio
> professionally are less likely to make decisions based on what
> requires the least effort, which seems to be the main bragging point
> for OSX as well as the main complaint about Linux.

I have met a lot of people into computer music over the years.  I doubt
a single one of them would call themselves a "professional".

It's not 1975 anymore, recording things are used far, far more often by
"normal people" (musicians) than by Professional Recording
Engineers(R)(TM).

Either way, this line of thinking is nothing but an excuse.  OK,
"professional" this and "professional" that.  So what?  Everything
should be unnecessarily difficult to set up and poorly built?  Because
it's "professional"?  No.

I call this nonsense EDD: excuse driven development.  The world's
leading development methodology for creating garbage software.

-dr