[LAD] Impro-Visor created on sourceforge

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sat Aug 8 19:56:13 UTC 2009

On Saturday 08 August 2009 09:59:45 Raymond Martin wrote:
> In fact, you will find that some experts on these matters always recommend
> to openly welcome forks

Personally, when it comes to my stuff, I do.

I tend to do more on the artistic side than on the code side and run into what
I consider even more objections to this attitude on my part, but "fork" my
copyleft stuff all you want.

For myself, I still think it remains to be seen whether I am a better,
starter, middle guy, or finisher. Far be it from me to try and block others
from trying on the various roles when everyone is playing together if a Free
system.

I get your eco-system bit but still think trademarks (or their equivalents)
can be useful to let others know whose work they are dealing with. Just as I
might not want John putting his name on your code or your name on his if I
trusted you and not John. If you think back to the days when many could not
write but made their mark instead and think of a trademark being used simply
as an alternate signature and only for that simple purpose, then my thinking
might make more sense.

all the best,

drew