[LAD] linux audio standards base?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Aug 9 12:07:16 UTC 2009

On 08/09/2009 08:12 PM, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey:

>>> These two items are related, right? Does it go away with a
>>> 32bit/extended kernel?
>>>

>> I haven't tested with a 32 bit system. I'm not sure if I will get the
>> time for that. I don't think in this case it has much to do with the
>> kernel. I think it is because pulse is compiled for 64 bit and the apps
>> are looking for 32 bit libs.
>>

> Well, there's your problem. It's great that you try out new
> software though, but of course then you'll get more stability
> issues as well.

To clarify, I have found that is difficult to get 32 bit apps to connect
to a 64 bit build of pulseaudio but these apps don't cause stability
issues with pulse. The problem is they just don't connect. I can still
run them directly over the alsa layer but that locks the device in a
standard Fedora 11 setup. I believe this would affect alot of "normal"
users so I would like to find a workable solution that can be
recommended to all packagers as a LAD standard.

I am finding stability issues with 64 bit apps connecting to a 64 bit
build of pulseaudio when it is connected to a 64 bit build of jack which
uses 64 bit alsa libs on a standard 64 bit kernel. I don;t have
stability issues with jack when pulse is not being used. I have run jack
for days on this machine.

In my testing I have found that pulseaudio is unstable when using 64 bit
apps. I have found that it is very difficult to get apps built for 32
bit environments to play nicely with pulse audio on a standard Fedora 11
setup even when I have the 32 bit pulse libs installed.

One annoying issue is libflashplayer that seems to be hard coded to
search in /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64. This causes conflicts with
apps like realplayer and skype which are looking for the 32 bit libs in
/usr/lib/alsa-lib. In order to get libflashplayer to run through pulse I
had to link the 64 bit pulse-alsa libs from /usr/lib64/alsa-lib to
/usr/lib/alsa-lib.

The instability could also be related to running a standard kernel not
rt kernel. Although this machine is powerful enough to run hundreds of
audio streams asynchronously so I don't think it is a hardware issue.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd