[LAD] linux audio standards base?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Aug 9 14:56:40 UTC 2009

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On 08/09/2009 10:35 PM, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

>>> Oh, I get you now.
>>>
>>> So are you advocating that the official recommendation of LAD is not
>>> to use a 64 bit system?
>>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by official recommendation, but from what
>> you describe, 64 bit systems can cause problems when using flash and
>> pulseaudio.
>>

> 64 bit libflashplayer is hard coded to use /usr/lib/ and on Fedora 11
> the 64 bit alsa-libs live in /usr/lib64/. I'm not sure that is a problem
> with a 64 bit system, libflashplayer or just Fedora's packaging policy.
>
> I am guessing that it affects a lot of people.
>
> The stability issues I have seen are not related to libflashplayer. That
> issue is more of a usability issue in that firefox/libflashplayer
> doesn't release the alsa device which makes it hard to use jack or other
> apps that require access to the alsa device.

I used to be annoyed of this very much and learned to love firefox'
flashblock plugin for that matter. However using jackplug in .asoundrc
resolved this issue quite nicely for me and I don't use pulesaudio on
any system here.

Anyways, we're getting way off-topic from discussing a
linux-audio-standards-base; although discussion and diversity here shows
that it may be impossible to do so.

robin