[LAD] linux audio standards base?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Aug 9 18:23:40 UTC 2009

On 08/10/2009 01:42 AM, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> Arnold Krille:
>
>> On Sunday 09 August 2009 14:12:56 Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
>>
>>> No, as I said, the solution is very simple: Don't install a 64 bit OS.
>>> That's what's causing your problems, apparently.
>>>
>> Helloo! Please leave the 20th century where it belongs. Nowadays 64bit are
>> normal with new computers and its a terrible waste not to use them (reminds me
>> of "640kB should be enough for everybody").
>>
>> If the combination of 64bit and 32bit-binary-only apps is broken, its the
>> developers or the distributions task to fix it. And the users task to point out
>> the problems and demand the fix.
>>
>> Looking away by only using 32bits is _not_ the solution. And please stop
>> telling that "solution" to other people. We are in the 21th century after
>> all...
>>

> Seems like you have some issues about something.? The case is that
> a 32 bit OS works, while a 64 bit OS don't. So until the 64 bit
> issues are fixed, using a 32 bit OS is a perfectly fine solution
> to the problem. I installed a 32 bit OS because I didn't want
> the kind of trouble Patrick has, and others who don't want
> that kind trouble should do the same.

I understand where you are coming from and I agree that it is a good
recommendation. 3 years ago I would have been with you 100% however I
have been running a 64 bit os for the past three years and the sound
issue is the only thing that I keep coming up against the is so
frustrating. It's like we are behind the curve in many ways.

I really think we can do better and making some official recommendations
specific to audio config on 64 bit other than "don't use 64 bit" or
specific to working with audio apps other "than disable pulseaudio"
seems like a good idea to me.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd