[LAD] linux audio standards base?

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at comhem.se
Mon Aug 10 08:38:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 18:01 +1000, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Oooh snap!

:-D

> - Closed source binaries such as those provided by companies like
> Adobe, Skype and Real Networks should provide flexibility for changing
> the audio library path and not be hardcoded to /usr/lib/
> - For 32 Bit systems with memory of more than 8GB we recommend
> enabling CONFIG_X86_PAE in the kernel

Hey wait a millisec, is the problem really with Mozilla/Firefox being
compiled for 64bit and it will go away if it is compiled for 32bit
instead so it can use the Adobe, Real etc plugins as supplied by vendors
in /usr/lib?

And somehow I can't really see the advantage of a 64bit enabled
mp3-player either .. or volume-control. Emacs perhaps? [(ducks)]

With Gimp - having many huge layers in flight - I can see the advantage
of 64bit. With most other applications though, it is not so clear.