[LAD] FLTK vs GTKmm

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 14:32:51 UTC 2009

On 8/11/09, Adrian Knoth <adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 01:54:39PM +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
>
>> > It's not ideal, but assembling all the jack buffers into one big one
>> > is not going to be that much load on the CPU.
>> OK .. Adrian Knoth showed some interest and says he knows his way around
>> in jackd as well as a colleague involved with CUDA. If the idea after
>> evaluation does not appear to be worth the effort, then we'll just drop
>> it by then.
>
> Speaking from the user's point of view, LV2 would be the way to go. It's
> just convenient to have all the settings saved in an ardour session,
> nice GUIs and so on.
>
> This could boil down to have a collecting thread somewhere and just
> small control plugins for getting the actual data.
>

> But I'm sure we'll find out. ;)
>
>> That would have to be a collection of generally useful plugins, at least
>> 32 channels wide to be worth it. A mega plugin so to say. This ain't no
>> lawn-mover you can turn around on a platter. Doing little things here
>> and there /only/ would be very difficult in general.
>
> I could imagine a generic all-in-wonder channel strip. (to the channel,
> it looks like a channel strip, but it's actually 32 or more channels in
> parallel).
>
> Which would mean: dynamics section (compressor, gate, gain), EQ, perhaps
> some fancy stuff like your rubberband or pitch correction in general,
> perhaps FFT analysis or at least FFT transformation, so subsequent
> plugins can operate in the frequency domain.
>
> Or whatever. ;)
>

>> processor it is running on. Or else you'll end up with 640 identical
>> channel-strips rather than something like a synth-collection, 64 fully
>
> Doesn't sound too bad to me. ;) Though I could perfectly live with 128
> identical channel strips plus your synth running, if switching kernels
> is feasible.
>

>> To put things in some economical perspective, I am talking about
>> upgrading this tiny desktop-machine to having bandwidth and processing
>> power twice that of a current top-of-the-line Intel Nehalem for less
>> than $200, maybe around Christmas.
>
> Christmas? That's ambitious, but hey, I guess we could "borrow" lots of
> code from existing plugins and chain them together.
>
> Anyway, it's a cool project.
>

> --
> mail: adi at thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver
>
> Gesundheit? - Was nützt einem Gesundheit, wenn man sonst ein Idiot ist?
>                                                     (Theodor W. Adorno)

Could you run convolution algo's i.e jconv stuff on the card via cuda?

If so the channel emulator series here:
http://noisevault.com/nv/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=29&func=selectcat&cat=19
Would be fantastically awesome ;)

Has anyone used that channel emulator collection with jconv? What do
you think? What was performance like? I'd love to test the cuda stuff,
i've got a 9600GT 1gb and nvidia drivers... ;)

Loki