[LAD] FLTK vs GTKmm

David Robillard dave at drobilla.net
Tue Aug 11 17:32:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 09:04 +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 07:45 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> > If that's what the CUDA interface to the outside world looks like then
> > wouldn't it be better to expose it as a JACK App, which loads CUDA-
> > specific plugins onto the graphics card?
> >
> > I don't see why you'd want to embed it in the jack daemon.
> >

> It is the scatter/gathering of data that is killing. I need to have one
> and only one transfer on the PCIe line for each period to be efficient,
> preferably in the 10 - 20KB range or more.  The jack model of one
> channel, one buffer does not fit very well here.

Unless I'm missing something an app could do this just as jack could
internally.  You receive and send the buffers from/to jack separately,
sure, but that's true regardless.  Doesn't mean you have to do
individual transfers to the card, you get/send all the buffers at the
same time with jack.

The copy overhead sucks, but can't get away from that if you want it to
work with jack at all.

-dr