[LAD] Lv2 port replication [for dummies]

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Thu Aug 13 22:16:14 UTC 2009

On 13/8/2009, "Fons Adriaensen" <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:

>> > Because larger plugins can have several completely different signal
>> > paths.  Synthesis and effects, or several channels on a mixer, or...
>>
>> That, IMHO, is a different problem space.
>
>If the original problem is 'how to define a mono plugin so it can
>be replicated for multichannel or polyphonic use' then I'd agree.

That's the problem I've limited myself to.

>And I'm not yet convinced that even the simple 'replicate a mono
>plugin' problem can be solved by port types only.
>
>How would a port type tell e.g. a multichannel limiter plugin if
>it has to limit each channel separately, or use the same gain
>reduction, based on the loudest one, on all ?

All the port type (property) would do is say this port is replicated. How
the plugin handles that is down to the author. For the limiter example
you might want a boolean value (a gui check box) which the plugin acts
upon to determine this. There would still be the same number of
inputs/outputs replicated in both cases (I think)...

James.