[LAD] Lv2 port replication [was Re: the role of lv2 extensions]

Steve Harris steve at plugin.org.uk
Fri Aug 14 09:06:45 UTC 2009

On 14 Aug 2009, at 00:37, David Robillard wrote:
>> I thought that the proposal for that the number of channels in each
>> port would be 1 or N.
>
> Well, it could be, but that seems sure to be limiting in the
> future.  It
> also seems to be not really feasible, short of being a joke useful for
> only the most trivial of plugins:

I'm not interested in hypothetical future plugins.

1/N gives us support for multi channel compressors, limiters etc,
multichannel reverbs, what else is there that cares about the
difference between a quad channel plugin and two stereo ones?

A proposal where each group of ports can have it's own number of
channels just brings lots of modelling problems, like what does it
mean if you have 14 channels and 2 sidechains? It's just not useful,
and your argument that it's no harder is not convincing.

- Steve