[LAD] Lv2 port replication [for dummies]

Steve Harris steve at plugin.org.uk
Fri Aug 14 16:09:03 UTC 2009

On 14 Aug 2009, at 15:56, David Robillard wrote:

>>> A mixer usually has several 'strips', each of which may have
>>> different
>>> counts.  Like the ardour mixer, for example.  This is a simple,
>>> realistic, and useful case where simply having a single global value
>>> doesn't cut it.  The same goes for virtually anything with several
>>> signal paths.
>>
>> I don't see a) how having multiple channel counts makes any
>> difference
>> b) how the hell the host would deal with it.
>>
>> Lets see, in a typical mixer setup, we have
>>
>> Audio:
>> in X N
>> out X N
>> master out X 2
>
> Hm, 2?  Why 2?

Well, it was supposed to be a stereo mixer. So the output will have a
stereo role, making it an n-ary out is just not that simple, you'd
need to do something truly odd with the pan control.

>> bus out X 8
>
> Hm, 8?  Why 8?

Because of the sends. Unless you're planning to have N * M way
controls as well?

>> Control:
>> master gain X 1
>> channel gain X N
>> low shelf X N
>> high shelf X N
>> trim X N
>> pan X N
>> bus sends 8 X N
>
> inputs 2 * N
> outputs 2 * N
>
> Why 2?  Why do they all have to be 2?

Because of the pan control.

> Perhaps a simpler example: an n->m panner.  Are you really going to
> argue that an n->m panner is not a useful plugin!?

That's a more compelling example, but it can be done with M * N-way
panners and a mixer.

- Steve