[LAD] Multi-Channel channel order

David Robillard dave at drobilla.net
Fri Aug 14 16:36:36 UTC 2009

Is there any existing 'standard' for the order of channels for
higher-than-stereo multi-channel streams?

I'd assume this would be defined for interleaving or something, though
that's not what it's needed for: I think the port groups extension
should specify an order for all the channels of the various types of
group.  Though this isn't necessary useful in the normal case (ports are
separate ala LADSPA), with this replication stuff and presumably other
things the host and plugin are going to have to deal with sets of
buffers, and having a predefined standard order for them seems like it
would make life a lot simpler and faster (and not having one seems to
have no benefit).

For example, for discrete non-interleaved 5.1 (using a full channel for
the .1) we have 6 channels: left, center, right, rear left, rear right,
LFE (see http://lv2plug.in/ns/dev/port-groups#FivePointOneGroup)

What order should these be passed in?  Any existing practices?

Thanks,

-dr