[LAD] [ANN] Invada Studio LV2 Plugins 1.2.0

Dan Mills dmills at exponent.myzen.co.uk
Sun Aug 23 18:27:18 UTC 2009

> On English, for international broadcasting you need different
> adjustments. But then it's important that the meter is informed about
> the analogue mixer of the sound card too ;). I guess it will become
> nearly impossible to fit a dBFS RMS meter to any VU meter outside the
> studio in the box. An external VU meter can't be replaced by one in the
> box for Linux using different sound cards.

Sure it can.

Lets say your card is aligned so that 0dbFS = +18dbu (EBU standard),
then 0Vu = +4dbu = - 14dbFS, so a software VU calibrated for 0Vu =
-14dbFs should read the same as an external Vu calibrated for +4dbu =
0Vu. If it does not then either a calibration setting is off somewhere
or one of the meters is faulty.

The key is that every stage has to have a known calibration, which is
actually fairly common with professional cards.

I agree that VU is not that useful a meter in many ways these days, but
it is arguably more useful in a production room context then a DPM as
long as there is sufficient headroom (In a production room I really
don't want to care about peak levels, and as long as my reference level
is far enough below 0dbFS I shouldn't have to.....

Regards, Dan.