[LAD] Selectable limit for polyphony of virtual synth

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Aug 24 20:43:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:25:17PM +0300, Hannu Savolainen wrote:

> Ideally the synth should use some kind of priority mechanism when
> stealing voices. Killing the oldest one is not the best way. For example
> some kind of psychoacoustic algorithm could be used to find voices that
> are masked out by the other voices playing at louder levels. Some voices
> may have decayed to inaudible levels or their pitch may be close enough
> to the new note to be played.

Or some _explicit_ feedback from somewhere downstream the patch
telling the voice allocator that a particular voice has decayed
far enough to be a candidate for re-use. My exploratory designs
for AMS II (gathering dust since four years) did exactly that.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.