[LAD] Selectable limit for polyphony of virtual synth

Nick Copeland nickycopeland at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 24 22:38:33 UTC 2009

Voice allocation really depends on what you want the virtual synth to do.
If you want it to sound like the original then it should use a similar algorithm,
if you want something that sounds better than or like the original then for
something like an Oberheim, it will probably not be the voice allocation that
is lacking on the emulator, more likely the overall quality of the sound that will
prevent the emulator from being as good: whatever you do with voice allocation,
if the emulator does not have Oberheim filters and oscillators it will not sound
like an Oberheim.

The algorithm was also different between synths, many used a FIFO buffer: if
the voices were all allocated then the oldest voice was stolen. Some would steal
the lowest note pressed, some would steal the highest note. You will eventually
notice which algorithm it uses based on what you are playing - each algorithm
has its defects. Siel did have an allocation algorithm that was supposed to be
superior in that stealing voices was not that noticible. Never seen the code but
it apparantly stole a note from somewhere in the middle so the player never lost
either extremes of the scale. I've tried this as well and the results are a noticable
improvement on FIFO.

Pure FIFO stealing is a cheap algorithm however it perhaps does have the most
noticable flaws when being played. VIrtual synths can easily improve on this,
emulators can't, really, and still be something that approaches the original. If
you want an virtual synth to sound like an OB-X the it will have to steal notes in
the same way.

Regards, nick.

"we have to make sure the old choice [Windows] doesn't disappear”.
Jim Wong, president of IT products, Acer