[LAD] Selectable limit for polyphony of virtual synth

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Aug 25 16:02:00 UTC 2009

Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> I think the latter could be more expressive when there are no more
> voices than you can easily direct with a single two-handed chord, to get
> in control of the stage again. Six voices would pretty good for that,
> but I remember five like the Prophet had was annoying. Or that at least
> I got lost fighting my own clumpsyness.

I misunderstood. Okay, even if a limit is wanted, the limit should have
a limit for being a limit ;).
Sometimes the Prophet 5 can be a pain, when you like to have no cuts,
but clean crossings from one 3-voice-chord to another 3-chord voice. In
practise the change from one 3-voice-chord to another often means only
to change two of the three notes, while 1 note still is held and because
of the 2 + 4 split issue, in practise often 4-voice-chords are just
played by 3-voices and in addition the bass adds the fourth voice. Maybe
this was Sequential's intent. The Prophet 5 originally doesn't ship with
MIDI, while later synth like the Oberheim Matrix-1000 have MIDI, so it
became interesting of taking care that guitars have 6 strings, even if
80ies synth Pickups were unusable, dunno if it's better today.