[LAD] Auto-wah plugin

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Aug 29 12:48:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Fons Adriaensen<fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:

> I'm perfectly willing to prefix $(DESTDIR) to any install directories
> if that is all that's required.
>
> But while I can clearly see the use and even necessity for $DESTIR
> for someone who is creating a binary package from a source package
> (without having to really install that package locally), what on
> earth is the purpose of forcing someone who installs from source
> to go via such an intermediate step ? If the Makefile provides a
> working 'make install' why complicate it ?

Fons - you don't! DESTDIR is empty by default. Hence "make install"
installs directly for a regular user who has not bothered to set it.
PREFIX is the way that a non-packaging user targets the install to
somewhere other than the default, no matter what "the web page about
DESTDIR says". DESTDIR is strictly for packagers/developers, and
merely has to be supported by the makefile, not used by a "regular
user".

The reason for having two distinct variables is that some software
needs to know PREFIX at compile time (e.g. where to find conf files,
or private shared libraries, etc). If the packager is aiming to
install the software in /foo/bar eventually, then she needs to set
PREFIX appropriately. But they may want to use /baz/bomb as a "staging
ground" for packaging, hence DESTDIR. Again, this does not affect
"regular users", who simple set PREFIX (if anything at all).

--p