[LAD] Auto-wah plugin

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 22:07:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:12:34 +0200
Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 08:48:27AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > Fons - you don't! DESTDIR is empty by default. Hence "make install"
> > installs directly for a regular user who has not bothered to set it.
> > PREFIX is the way that a non-packaging user targets the install to
> > somewhere other than the default, no matter what "the web page about
> > DESTDIR says". DESTDIR is strictly for packagers/developers, and
> > merely has to be supported by the makefile, not used by a "regular
> > user".
> >
> > The reason for having two distinct variables is that some software
> > needs to know PREFIX at compile time (e.g. where to find conf files,
> > or private shared libraries, etc). If the packager is aiming to
> > install the software in /foo/bar eventually, then she needs to set
> > PREFIX appropriately. But they may want to use /baz/bomb as a
> > "staging ground" for packaging, hence DESTDIR. Again, this does not
> > affect "regular users", who simple set PREFIX (if anything at all).
>
> Yes, that is and already was very clear, but:
>
> [Renato]
>
> > ... but the fact is that in Arch
> > for building from source in a pacman-aware (pacman is Arch's package
> > manager) manner, you need the DESTDIR option... infact you first
> > install all the files with the exact same direcotry tree as would
> > do 'make install' but, instead of in root, in a working directory...
> > i.e. you do 'make DESTDIR=/pathtotmpdir install' ...
>
> Which to me seems to mean that in Arch even users who install
> from source are supposed (I never wrote 'forced') to do this.

I just didn't want to delve too deep into Arch's way of building from
source, so I was hasty and not precise.
As allready said, you really don't run these commands directly, but
rather from a script which you write your own but most commonly you
find on the AUR, allready written by someone else. The script runs the
command I posted above and then, if you
wish, you use pacman to actually install these files on the system.

Renato