[LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

Karl Hammar karl at aspodata.se
Tue Dec 1 20:40:14 UTC 2009

Folderol:
> On Tue,  1 Dec 2009 19:31:24 +0100 (CET)
> karl at aspodata.se (Karl Hammar) wrote:
> > [about sizes]
> At this stage, I'd just say whatever is easiest to work with. Shrinkage
> and prettifying can come later!

Ok, forget about physical size for now.

> > > The aim is to provide upto 8 audio i/o ports.
> > I don't think we should set an upper limit, instead it would be
> > interesting to see how many channels the system could support.
> Very much agree, start simple and see how far we can push it.

Ok.

> Initially line only, much easier to get a decent performance. Also
> there are *lots* of mic preamps out there and everyone thinks theirs is
> the best :)

Ok.

> > > Connectivity via Gigabit ethernet.
> > I don't think the atmel can do gigabit. Fast ethernet (100Mpbs),
> > is a more realistic choise unless we switch cpu.
> Almost everyone has fast Ethernet, so lets stick with that for as long
> as possible. It's easier to upgrade than downgrade!

Ok.

******

I then propose that this project (for the moment) consentrates on the
analog and ad/da part.

 I.e.:

. design a 16bit 44.1/48kHz, line-in  block
. design a 16bit 44.1/48kHz, line-out block
. design a 24bit 192kHz, line-in  block
. design a 24bit 192kHz, line-out block

All with spi, without any consideration about multichannel, usb/
ethernet/whatever -- do the analog part good, then we can use it
together with "any" cpucard.

******

Would that be something which could move this project forward ?

In meantime while we are working on this, the thoughts about processor,
usb/adat/firewire/ethernet etc. may have its time to mature.

Those of you more interested about other parts of a future system can
work out thoose details so that they are clear when the analog/ad/da
blocks matures.

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data               karl at aspodata.se
Lilla Aspö 148                                                 Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar          +46  173 140 57                   Computers
Sweden                     +46  70 511 97 84                 Consulting