[LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

torbenh torbenh at gmx.de
Wed Dec 2 16:41:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 04:20:45PM +0100, Adrian Knoth wrote:

> > > Ack.
> > Can CELT also do uncompressed or lossless?
>
> That's called raw PCM. ;)
>
> > Otherwise limiting to CELT might not be such a good idea if I have
> > followed things closely enough.
>
> It's not a good idea. It imposes latencies and there's actually no need
> for compressed data as long as there is plenty of bandwidth (and there
> will be, since we're talking LAN)

the latency is just half a period. but there is no need for this. you
can transmit 100 uncompressed channels via GigE no problem.

well... having it built with celt support wont harm.
and that opens the possibility to connect to a soundcard in another
continent :)

well... note that the CPU should be able to handle the float conversions
in this case. if it doesnt have an FPU and you need to use soft-floats,
the conversions could use a significant share of CPU.

--
torben Hohn