[LAD] Anyone have experience with OSS (3 or 4)?

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Dec 11 14:43:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Kjetil S. Matheussen
> <k.s.matheussen at notam02.no> wrote:
>>
>> After about 10 years of frustration, I'm a bit tired of alsa.
>>
>> Does anyone know if OSS supports proper software mixing?
>
> what is "proper software mixing"?

Something that works, i.e. no crashes, no distortion, no glitches,
no frustration. I'm not talking about hyper-low-latency, just
having to avoid stopping and starting programs that require
sound, ever.

> if you mean "a floating-point using,
> kernel resident blob of code that does software mixing", then yes,
> OSS4 supports this. is this "proper" ? open for debate.

I really don't care that much about how it's being implemented.
Sound has worked excellently in windows for many years,
no reason why it shouldn't work in linux either.