[LAD] Maximum size of SysEx messages in JACK MIDI and ALSA sequencer

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Sat Dec 12 19:58:28 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm wondering what the size limit is for SysEx messages in the JACK MIDI
and ALSA sequencer APIs. My observations so far:

In JACK MIDI, a SysEx message can be as large as the MIDI port buffer,
which in turn has the same size as an audio buffer for one period. This
is assuming that there are no other events transmitted on the same port
during the same period.
Is this correct? Or are applications somehow expected to handle larger
SysEx messages split over multiple periods?

In the documentation of the ALSA sequencer API, I couldn't find any
mention of an upper limit. Some sources suggest that ALSA splits SysEx
messages into chunks of 256 bytes, but from my own attempts at sending
larger messages, it seems the limit is actually somewhere around 5500
bytes. Unfortunately ALSA doesn't seem to report an error when I try to
send larger chunks, instead the messages just disappear. Can anyone shed
some light on how to handle larger SysEx messages correctly?

Thanks,

Dominic