[LAD] Atomic Operations

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Tue Dec 15 14:28:23 UTC 2009

On 12/15/2009 02:58 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Paul Davis <paul-dDzkXPnfpdxaomM2pvQuqZqQE7yCjDx5 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> these concepts have been around in this community (and others) for
>> years. i suspect that it is more than a decade since the folks at
>> GRAME published their paper on lock free data structures (used in
>> MidiShare), and its probably a decade or more since LAD first
>> discussed lock free (single-read/single-writer) ringbuffers. there's
>> nothing wrong with having new eyes and new ideas but i couldn't see
>> anything from a casual glance in that paper that hasn't been
>> documented and used by people on this list for a long time.
>
> i should perhaps note that there tends to be less use of generic lock
> free data structures because of the absence of nice libraries. maybe
> effo can be a useful addition there. its not as if its the first one,
> however.

fyi, i am working on boost-style c++ implementations of some lockfree
data structures ... the library is on the boost review queue, however
counting the number of libs in the queue and review processes per year,
it may take some time, until it is an official part of boost ..

http://tim.klingt.org/git?p=boost_lockfree.git
http://tim.klingt.org/boost_lockfree/

suggestions/thoughts/criticism is welcome ...

tim

tim at klingt.org
http://tim.klingt.org

I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion
  Jack Kerouac