[LAD] Anyone have experience with OSS (3 or 4)?

Lennart Poettering mzynq at 0pointer.de
Wed Dec 16 12:07:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, 11.12.09 14:24, Kjetil S. Matheussen (k.s.matheussen at notam02.no) wrote:

> After about 10 years of frustration, I'm a bit tired of alsa.
>
> Does anyone know if OSS supports proper software mixing?
> Is the alsa emulation working somewhat okay?
> Are there any problems configuring the machine to use more than one card?

One should note that OSS on Linux is a dead-end. The latest two Fedora
releases have disabled kernel support for the OSS APIs by default, and
Ubuntu is expected to do this now too. (or already did?)

Also, note that the big distributors have folks working on ALSA. OTOH
nobody who has any stakes in Linux supports OSS anymore or even has
people working on it.

Just say no to OSS.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net