[LAD] Anyone have experience with OSS (3 or 4)?

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu Dec 17 12:52:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> It's also true to say that elsewhere, on Windows, if you want to have
> low-latency, you also loose the software mixer. AFAIK ASIO drivers and KS
> implementations are single-client like alsa.

As far as my current experience with XP SP3 goes, this is not correct.

Mixing works just fine, even when using ASIO. Maybe you have to start
the asio program first though, I don't know. But still, there's no
reason why you shouldn't have a global option, lets say 256 frames
48000Hz, that everything mixes down to, and then software which needs
hardcore low-level performance must obey to that setting.

> To me, it makes perfect sense to have alsa as a HAL, and get people using
> pulseaudio or jack at application level.

Something which is unnecessarily complicated can not make perfect sense.