[LAD] Anyone have experience with OSS (3 or 4)?

Lennart Poettering mzynq at 0pointer.de
Thu Dec 17 14:02:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, 17.12.09 13:52, Kjetil S. Matheussen (k.s.matheussen at notam02.no) wrote:

> Mixing works just fine, even when using ASIO. Maybe you have to start
> the asio program first though, I don't know. But still, there's no
> reason why you shouldn't have a global option, lets say 256 frames
> 48000Hz, that everything mixes down to, and then software which needs
> hardcore low-level performance must obey to that setting.

Uh, that's a great way to burn your battery.

If you care about more than pro audio, then you want to dynamically
adjust the sleep times based on the requirements of the clients
connected. That means you cannot use fixed sized hardware fragments
anymore, but need to schedule audio more dynamically using system
timers.

This in fact is where most of the complexity in systems such as
PulseAudio stems from.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net