[LAD] Anyone have experience with OSS (3 or 4)?

Jussi Laako jussi at sonarnerd.net
Thu Dec 17 19:43:01 UTC 2009

On 12/17/2009 04:58 PM, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> Through which API? I not sure I understand audio IO on Vista, with the
> concurrent existence of several APIs. Never mind, perhaps this is a
> bit OT in a Linux Audio list...

There's WASAPI and rest is practically emulated on top of it.

The good side is that there's practically one API where the programmer
can choose if he wants to do casual audio with mixing and samplerate
conversion (always floats) or he can talk directly to the hardware in
native sample format if needed. There is also possibility to pipeline
and connect different audio elements there (like effects etc).

So it's kind of ALSA, jack and pulseaudio combined behind one API...