[LAD] LADI

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 10:45:09 UTC 2009

torbenh wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 09:11:04PM +0100, rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> 1) What do you want to achieve with jack session.
>>

> session management ?
> load/save of whole jack graph .
>

>> 2) How do you think you are able to achieve it?
>>

> with very few exceptions every app thats a target for session
> management, is a jack client.
> so why not add some callbacks, and let the sessionmanager
> communicate with apps via jack ?
>
> this basically reduces the size of the app patches.
> allowing me to patch at least one app per hour.
>

>> 3) Why do you think this is the best way to do it?
>>

> every app is already using jack IPC to communicate with jackd.
> -> minimally invasive on the app.
> no reinvention of the wheel or yet another IPC mechanism to add.
>
> anyways... effort is frozen.
> we are dumping a working implementation.

@Torben, thanks for your answer. It seems one side effect of becoming a
session handler programmer, is getting a lot of debate. But this is
maybe not unexpected, cause it 'hits' the whole community. Also history
has shown that it will take at least some time to implement a session
handler. So maybe it's not realistic to expect consensus in a relative
short period.

Anyway, to get a more clear picture of the situation, I think it's good
to know what the opinions are from the (former) LASH maintainers. So

@Bob Ham, David Robillard and Juuso Alasuutari,

Can you describe in your own words:

1) What are the strong and weak points of LADI in your opinion and why?

2) What will be a good approach now for getting a Linux audio session
handler in your opinion
(taking also LASH/LADI/Jack Session and Fons ideas in account)?

3) Are you willing to contribute to an solution and how do you see this
(own project / collaboration with other projects etc.).

Please try to keep it short and to the point.

Thanks in advance,

\r