[LAD] LADI

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Tue Dec 22 23:35:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 12:55 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 12:33 +0300, Louigi Verona wrote:
> >> I am relatively new to linux audio, so I would be grateful if you
> >> would explain to me the benefits of modular environment.
> >
> > I would recommend the following chapter from ESR's book, The Art of Unix
> > Programming.  In particular, rules 1, 3, 5 and most importantly, 6:
> >
> > http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html
>
> another marvellous demonstration of my credo:
>
> "never let what you are really attempting to accomplish stand in the
> way of deepening your knowledge of computer science"
>
> the problem is that this a tautological reference: the question of
> whether rule 6 applies is precisely the question.

Well the Unix philosophy is, I think aptly described as a philosophy.
It isn't generally something that is based on rational measurement.  I
think ESR has done a very good job of writing it down.  A lot of times
he doesn't try to justify aspects of it, precisely because they aren't
based on rationality but on the intuition that arises from experience
programming and using Unix systems.

The issue of whether rule 6 "applies" (I'm taking that to mean 'is a
valid rule') is based on an appeal to intuition.  Hence, it is entirely
subjective.  It depends on whether your experience programming and using
Unix systems gives rise to the intuitive feeling that writing large
programs should be a last resort.  I certainly have that intuitive
feeling.  I guess YMMV.

In general, The Art of Unix Programming appeals very much to my
intuition and I am happy to submit to the rules laid down by those more
wizardly than myself.

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>