[LAD] LADI

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Wed Dec 23 00:00:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 23:21 +0200, Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> thanks for commenting on LADI stuff
>
> > The huge, major weak point that would prevent me from investing myself
> > in LADI is the use of D-Bus which requires an extra, external layer in
> > order to perform routing between objects on different buses.  See my
> > previous mail on the subject here:
> >
> >   http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2009/11/0350.html
> >
> >>From what Nedko has said on IRC, I believe LADISH has such a layer.
>
> D-Bus *can* span over multiple hosts.

The main issue isn't whether D-Bus clients can connect to buses on a
different host.  The main issue is whether D-Bus clients connected to
one bus can send messages to objects on a different bus.

I was actually labouring under the impression that D-Bus as-is could
cope with connecting to remote hosts because it uses sockets.  That this
isn't the case is, in fact *another* problem with D-Bus.

D-Bus clients can't send messages to objects on remote buses.  As-is,
they can't even connect to buses on remote hosts.  Shocking.

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>