[LAD] Setting fonts in pixels rather than points

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Dec 26 18:53:24 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Saturday 26 December 2009 15:31:10 Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> I am trying to fix the size of my UI to be independent of the selected
> WM theme. I have a gtkrc (based on the "Ia Oya" engine) which will do
> that - except for the font sizes which will vary dependent on how screen
> resolution is set globally.
>
> One work-around I have found is to use a font that has only one size. Of
> that kind I have found three: "Terminal" (medium sized, looks a bit like
> a flattened "9x15"), "Teletext" (like "Terminal" but wider),
> "Outcast" (small, "Tek"-like slanted) and "Caption" which is again like
> "Terminal but twice the size and more polished.
>
> Are these fonts standard in any distribution? Or a result of the
> dependencies of whatever packages I might whimsically have happened to
> have currently installed?
>
> [Dots per inch makes little sense when the target could be a cinema
> sized 800x600 projector as well as a handheld with similar resolution]

Please use the fonts the user has selected in the sizes the user has selected.
There is a reason why some people use 9px Times and others use 20pt bold
Verdana. [*] And an applications programmer trying to be smarter than the user
ends destroying the users experience...

Arnold

[*] And there is a reason why modern toolkits have dynamic layouts and such
stuff.