[LAD] GUI for audio application

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Dec 28 19:35:36 UTC 2009

Carlo Ascani wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm a junior developer, interested in GUI developing (and looking for
> a job hehe....)
> I wanna put your attention to the state of audio application GUIs under Linux.
> We have many toolkits to develop a GUI, but none that allows the user
> to say: "Damn, that's cool!"
> I mean, all of you know the LinuxDSP audio plugins, they have a GUI
> that cause a "Damn, that's cool!" but that isn't free software.
> Another example is libphat, but it's all but a "Damn, it's cool".
>
> What i mean is: is there anyone interested in writing a simple set of
> audio widget that will be:
> Simple, Good Looking, Skinable?
>
> I'm interested, if there's anyone, let me know. I'm free to talk about it.

I disagree. I like a clean style, e.g. the one of Qtractor much more
than flashy designs, because I can rule it's look. Whereas I do agree,
that a call for more desktop environment themes is something we need. It
would be good, if we could choose different themes for different
applications. Even if I'm not a fan of applications that ignore the
theme I chose, at the moment I'm glad that some do, because different
outfits make it easy to discern different apps, with similar
functionality. To be honest, I like the look of some apps that come with
their own style, but on the whole, clean themes taken over from the
desktop environment's theme will avoid that the display looks like a
funfair, with it's grotesque sensory overload.

2 cents,
Ralf