[LAD] GUI for audio application

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Dec 29 15:00:12 UTC 2009

On 12/30/2009 01:57 AM, Ray Rashif wrote:
> 2009/12/29 Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas<pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Tuesday, December 29, 2009, torbenh wrote:
>>
>>> what is this ? gui flamewars ?
>>> idiots.
>>>
>> So, I must ask for permission to the high priests before naming my library,
>> but you can freely insult to everybody not sharing your faith ?
>>
>> BTW, many applications made with GTK are ugly for my taste, and I have also
>> technical complains against it.
>>
> Qt has some technical shortcomings as well, but the author doesn't
> intend to discuss anything other than appearance from what I can
> understand.
>
> So hold your horses, something's up. Where? Here:
> http://calf.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=calf/calf;a=tree;f=gui;hb=20a7d0fb06da3c6c48738e4521f24700c5adaf01
>
> And someone leaked this: http://foltman.com/Deesser.png
>
> 5/5 :O

Stock standard gtk may have it's short comings but anything that can be
done with the gimp can also be done in gtk so it's just a matter of
putting in the effort and having an aesthetic for that kind of thing.
Working with alpha layers in cairo and drawing your own fonts in pango
can make a huge difference.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd