[LAD] memory leak assistance

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Dec 30 19:51:27 UTC 2009

On 12/31/2009 06:30 AM, hermann wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 31.12.2009, 05:36 +1100 schrieb Patrick Shirkey:
>
>> On 12/31/2009 04:11 AM, James Warden wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Patrick et al,
>>>
>>> I ported the ardour "fast meters" from C++ to C. Look into guitarix's code (GtkFastMeter class). It is a direct translation from gtkmm2ext. I picked it up because it is very CPU friendly, the algorithm focusing only on the "deltas" from one event to the next. Hermann took care of the layout and that's what he was talking about when he mentioned something about the box_expose function.
>>>

>> Ahhh, I was confused by the file name being GtkFastMeter.cpp so didn't
>> look into it until now.
>>
>> My only concern before attempting to switch to this class is that maybe
>> it won't solve the problem I am seeing. Do the notches get overdrawn by
>> the meters? It looks like they are separately positioned so as to not
>> have any conflict.
>>
>> I guess it shouldn't be a problem because the meters in ardour have
>> notches and levels in the same coords but I don't really want to find
>> out that it is after going to the trouble of inserting it to my codebase.
>>
>> I feel like I am basically finished with these meters if I could fix the
>> memory leak. I'm wondering if it could be a gtk bug that is being picked
>> up. Maybe it's just that I shouldn't be making so many calls to pango?
>>
>> :-/
>>

> Maybe you try it with cairo, instead pango, :-)

That's a good idea. Do you have an example of how to use it. it's 6:50am
here and I'm a bit past thinking now :-)

Anyway I have decided to go ahead without the text values for now. I've
run out of time and may not get any more for a couple of weeks. I would
rather release what I have now for people to play with than hold onto it
for any longer.

Thanks for your help though. It was very useful and interesting to get
more details on the meters that are available for gtk.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd