[LAD] Dumb Idea #27: LV2 host as kernel?

David Robillard dave at drobilla.net
Mon Feb 23 01:24:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 01:00 +0200, alex stone wrote:
> Ingen works well on my setup, but the idea of adding midi and audio
> tracks as 'plugins' sounds rather appealing. (Would be cool to simply
> add tracks, and have them autoorganise into a neat arrangement in the
> GUI. Starting from the top down?)
> Given the multi layer framework of Ingen, i would think there are many
> advantages to this.
> (Strings on patch layer 1, Woodwinds on patch layer 2, etc..)

It's extremely unlikely anything would be better than the existing
graphviz arrangement (short of some kind of limitations on routing
between tracks to enforce this 'layer' model which is completely out of
the question for obvious reasons)

The whole point/advantage of using something like Ingen for this is no
specifics need to be built in to the system.  This will be really cool
for some things and open up new possibilities... but probably not very
good for traditional recording regardless.  There's always Ardour if you
want a traditional timeline, and the two play nicely together.

> Would future Ingen include a LASH component, either working with the
> current LASH app

Yes, just havn't gotten around to it.  The release will have LASH
support.

> or as 'the' LASH app in its own right, with the ability to save
> settings from LASH capable external apps?

... and a kitchen sink too!  Most definitely not ;)

-dr