[LAD] Saving plugin presets

Emanuel Rumpf xbran at web.de
Sun Jan 18 22:29:11 UTC 2009

2009/1/18 Sebastian Moors <mauser at smoors.de>:
> ... But i would like to point out two important facts:
>
> 1.It shouldn't rely on a particular plugin type. Lv2 is coming and it
> should be supported as well. No big problem so far..
> 2.It shouldn't rely on a special library (parser,database..). Free audio
> software is often used not only on linux - hydrogen (for example) is
> available for linux, windows and mac os x. This makes me think that
> plain text files would be a good choice for this task. Just keep it
> simple..

Right

> But how shoud  those files be stored ? As a subfolder in ladspa/lv2
> plugin directories? Or in a seperate directory, something like
> "~/.plugin-presets/" ?
> (Ok, plugin-presets could lead to some confusion...)

For the format, let me suggest JSON.
It's a plain text format. Supports utf-8.
Parsers for different languages already exist.
Properties can be nested. Human editing is simple.

More info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON
http://www.json.org/

The path might depend:
$HOME/audiofx-presets/preset_name/dssi/plugin_name/
$HOME/audiofx-presets/preset_name/lv2/plugin_name/

Main config file:
$HOME/audiofx-presets/preset_name/main_config.json

The main_config could suggest the host to load plugins of different types
in this case... and the plugins could store data (wav files, etc.. )
in its subfolders ...

We could setup a draft at:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/audiofx_plugin_format_draft

..and gather suggestions for parameter names, options, and groups there.

--
Emanuel