[LAD] help on creating MIDI from linux input events

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 5 20:19:55 UTC 2009

Miguel Morales wrote:

> Hmm, so you're saying that the device sends keyboard events.  How did
> you find out which kind of data it sends out?
> Sending out midi note events is easy with RTMidi, check out the
> section on midi out section.  It contains a section on MIDI note output.
>
> I don't have much experience on grabbing keyboard type events using a
> daemon.  I would recommend finding a cross platform solution.  If not
> try finding out how to read keyboard events while being a daemon.
> Like a keylogger I guess.
>
> C++ isn't much of a jump from C so it should be easy to pick up and go.

Is the problem to get the key events? For old computers using other
kernels, but not Linux, you only need to take a look at the buffer for
pushed keys. I guess somebody here knows how to fetch events form the
Linux keyboard buffer, but I don't think that this can be handled on
real-time.

Without knowledge, I'm just speculating ... will it be possible to use
Rui's rtirq to give keyboard events the highest priority?